In 2015, I was hired to mentor another photographer, Khalilah, in Hawaii. I’d never been to Hawaii, so this was a trip of a lifetime to begin with! What I didn’t expect was for Khalilah to say something that’s stuck with me to this day…
We were on a highway and approaching a tunnel through the most majestic mountains I’d ever seen.
From the passenger seat, I scrambled to turn my phone camera on and proceeded to snap photos of the scene through the windshield—like a total tourist, of course.
“I love seeing Hawaii through your eyes.”
She saw the light and awe in my soul.
Khalilah had been living on Oahu with her family for years. What was new and loudly majestic for me had grown familiar and quieter for her.
That’s the nature of life and settling into your world, isn’t it?
New turns old. Majestic turns mundane.
We miss how easily things become overlooked, unnoticed, or taken for granted.
In 2017, I moved from Michigan to South Carolina. One evening when surely the fall, Michigan air would be crisp in your lungs, I was in 80 degree South Carolina with a hint of humidity. Driving down some new-to-me road, the beautiful, Blue Ridge Mountains stood on the horizon.
I remembered Khalilah’s words, “I love seeing Hawaii through your eyes.”
In that moment, I told myself, “I will always notice the mountains.”
Have you noticed “the mountains” of your life lately?
2020 has been full of heartache, confusion, challenges, and distraction of epic proportions. It’s easy to miss your mountains when there’s dense fog in the way. It’s also easy to clear the fog by paying extra attention to that feeling of “noticing the mountains.”
The mountains are proverbial, of course.
Whether my affinity for mountains and exotic rhododendron tunnels or tiny, majestic moments within my life…
…I want to notice and appreciate it all.
Not sleepwalk through.
Little by little, with this new way of seeing, I crafted what I call a “Life-Brand.”
A Life-Brand embodies your beliefs, values, life missions, and who you want to be.
From there, your Life-Brand details how all those things play out and show up in your life.
I call my Life-Brand “Masse Mountain.”
Masse Mountain is what informs:
1. I value living awake. The way this shows up in my life is in my behavior and dedication to practice self-awareness regularly.
2. I value unique perspective and autonomy. This informed our decision to unschool the kids.
One more, for good measure…
3. It’s one of my missions to make my relationship interactions feel meaningful. I want the people I care about to feel seen. So, I started a calendar for everyone else’s happenings. Yep, it’s a calendar that’s dedicated to birthdays, anniversaries, moments coming up (like graduating college or moving to a new home), so that way I can do my best to check in, cheer them on, and send love.
You can have this high level system too.
Create your own Life-Brand. Here’s how:
1. In list format, spend time writing out your:
Those are your roots. Your heart and soul on the inside.
2. Then, from there, shape the tree. What you see growing.
Meaning, list how this shows up in your life on the outside. How does this play out in your behavior, actions, decisions, lifestyle? Go into all of it.
Or, better yet, let me guide you over 21 days of light, yet comprehensive questions, prompts, and light activities to create your own Life-Brand in just 3 weeks.